Monday 19 September 2022

Unit-1 - Contributions Of Notable Leaders - Text Book Exercise - Unit 1.2 - 1.6

Go To Index
Unit-1 - Contributions Of Notable Leaders
TEXT BOOK EXERCISE
UNIT 1.2 - 1.6

UNIT 1.2
ORAL COMMUNICATION

Express Agreement And Disagreement

Here are some possible words that can be used to express agreement and disagreement:
Words for expressing agreement Words for expressing disagreement
 I think I don't think
 I believe I can’t believe / I don’t believe
 I agree I can't agree / I don't agree
 makes sense this doesn't make sense
 that's right that’s not right

Exercise 1:

Three friends, Amina, Hina, and Mariam, were discussing the spread of diseases in their area and the problems that people were facing. A reporter was noting down the points but, except for the first point, all other points got mixed up. Work in groups of three, organise these points by assigning to the respective speakers, and write them in your notebooks.
Amina: It is a good idea to take medicines at home rather than go to the doctor.
Hina: Yes, I agree with you. The doctors charge you a lot of money.
Mariam: I don't think it is always a good idea to treat yourself.
Amina: Many illnesses can be managed at home without wasting time and money.
Hina: ________________________
Mariam: ______________________

The mixed up points are as follows:
  1. I believe that the medicines that my parents and grandparents give me are better than those given by doctors.
  2. Well, health is the most important thing in life so we should do all we can to protect it.
  3. Some people say that most illnesses go away after a while.
  4. This doesn't make sense to me, but I'll go with your idea.
  5. I don't agree. I think that the medicines that the doctors give us lead to other problems.
  6. Yes, that makes sense.
  7. I think we should see a doctor if we have any health problem for more than two or three days. 
  8. This doesn't make sense to me. Many diseases, if not treated properly and on time, can lead to bigger problems and more expenses.
Ans: Dialogues To Visit doctor
Amina: It is a good idea to take medicines at home rather than go to the doctor.
Hina: Yes, I agree with you. The doctors charge you a lot of money.
Mariam: I don't think it is always a good idea to treat yourself.
Amina: Many illnesses can be managed at home without wasting time and money.
Hina: I believe that the medicines that my parents and grandparents give me are better than those given by doctors.
Mariam: I think we should see a doctor if we have any health problem for more than two or three days.
Amina: Some people say that most illnesses go away after a while.
Hina: Yes, that makes sense.
Mariam: This doesn't make sense to me. Many diseases, if not treated properly and on time, can lead to bigger problems and more expenses.
Amina: I don't agree. I think that the medicines that the doctors give us lead to other problems.
Hina: This doesn't make sense to me, but I'll go with your idea.
Mariam: Well, health is the most important thing in life so we should do all we can to protect it.

Exercise 2:

After you have written the dialogues, each one of you should take on one role, i.e., one takes the role of Amina, one of Hina, and one of Mariam. Now, orally practise these dialogues following these sequence:
 Sequence 1:  student 1 Amina  |  student 2 Hina   |  student 3 Mariam
Sequence 2:  student 1 Mariam  |    student 2 Amina  |  student 3 Hina
Sequence 3:  student 1 Hina  |  student 2 Mariam  |  student 4 Amina

Ans: Students will learn learn above dialogues and will practice in group mention as sequence 1, sequence 2, sequence 3.

Exercise 3:

Working in the same groups of three, prepare a brief dialogue (two to three dialogues per person), on one of the following topics, as directed by the teacher. You will have to role play your dialogue in front of the class. Topics
1. All students should study up to the Masters' level.
2. All of us should grow our own vegetables.
3. All of us should stop eating meat.
4. All people working in offices should wear uniforms.
5. No animals should be allowed on the roads.

Ans:


By Mrs. Ayesha Arif
(Jauhar Progressive School)

UNIT 1.3
LANGUAGE PRACTISE

Revision: Capitalization and Punctuation

Exercise 1:

Rewrite the following sentences in your notebook by correcting the errors of capitalization.
1. the mausoleum of shah abdul latif bhittai is in sindh.
Ans: The mausoleum of Shah Abdul Latif Bhittai is in Sindh.

2. sameer and ali went to quetta last july.
Ans: Sameer and Ali went to Quetta last July.

3. the river indus flows from gilgit baltistan to the arabian sea.
Ans: The river Indus flows from Gilgit, Baltistan to the Arabian sea.

4. the liaquat national hospital is on stadium road in karachi.
Ans: The Liaquat National Hospital is on Stadium road in Karachi.

5. “are zahra and samina coming today?“ asked mrs afzal.
Are Zahra and Samina coming today?“ asked Mrs. Afzal.

6. the highest peak, mount everest, is in the himalayan ranges, in nepal.
Ans: The highest peak Mount Everest is in the Himalayan ranges in Nepal.

7. we are planning to go to islamabad in march to see the faisal mosque.
Ans: We are planning to go to Islamabad in March to see the Faisal Mosque.

8. he said, "my uncle’s name is asif sheikh and he lives in london.”
Ans: He said, "My uncle’s name is Asif Sheikh and he lives in London.”

Exercise 2:

Insert commas, full stops, question marks and exclamation marks in appropriate places. Write the corrected sentences in your notebook. After you have completed, compare your answers with your partner and make corrections where needed.

1. The helping group needs clothes food water blankets and shoes for the flood victims
Ans: The helping group needs clothes, food, water, blankets and shoes for the flood victims.

2. Hurrah Pakistan has won the world cup We must meet celebrate enjoy and have fun
Ans: Hurrah! Pakistan has won the world cup. We must meet, celebrate, enjoy and have fun.

3. Nevertheless some people are talking some are resting some are reading and some are having fun
Ans: Nevertheless, some people are talking, some are resting, some are reading and some are having fun.

4. “Have you finished your home work” his mother asked
Ans: “Have you finished your home work?” his mother asked.

5. Alas the old man is dead He suffered a lot
Ans: Alas! the old man is dead. He suffered a lot.

6. The teacher said ”Where is your bag ” “I don’t know” said Sabah “I just keep it here”
Ans: The teacher said, ”Where is your bag?” “I don’t know,” said Sabah. “I just keep it here.

7. Moreover I have seen his picture in magazines on television and in movies
Ans: Moreover, I have seen his picture in magazines, on television and in movies.

8. Chuck chuck chuck The train began moving out of station therefore the people started running
Ans: Chuck, chuck, chuck. The train began moving out of station, therefore, the people started running.

9. Wow This is a pleasant surprise Why didn’t you tell me you were coming
Ans: Wow! This is a pleasant surprise. Why didn’t you tell me you were coming?

10. “Your book has been lying on this table for ten days” said Mr Jawad ”When will you read it”
Ans: “Your book has been lying on this table for ten days," said Mr Jawad. ”When will you read it?

Exercise 3:

Insert apostrophes and quotation marks where needed. Write the corrected sentences in your notebook. After you have completed, compare your answers with your partner and make corrections where needed.
1. This book isn’t mine, said Abdul Karim. I dont know who put it here.
Ans: This book isn’t mine, said Abdul Karim. I dont know who put it here."

2. Can we go to sea side, father? the children asked. Its such a lovely day.
Ans: Can we go to sea side, father? The children asked. Its such a lovely day.”

3. The girls father said, Ill take you to school today. Its still early and well reach in time.
Ans: The girls father said, Ill take you to school today. Its still early and we’ll reach in time.

4. Mother said, Wholl help me clean the house? I cant said Laila Ive got to write an essay.
Ans: Mother said, Who 'll help me clean the house? I cant, said Laila. Ive got to write an essay.

5. Ive seen this movie before. Whats its name? said Fakhir. I don’t know, replied Asad.
Ans: Ive seen this movie before. What’s its name? said Fakhir. I dont know, replied Asad.

6. Sabiha, said Rana, arent we going to Hyderabad today? No, said Sabiha, im not feeling well.
Ans: Sabiha,” said Rana, Arent we going to Hyderabad today?” “No, said Sabiha, Im not feeling well.

7. This is Najmas house, said Nabila. Ive been here before. However, the gates colour has been changed.
Ans: This is Najmas house, said Nabila. " Ive been here before. However, the gates colour has been changed.

8. Hurry up, lets go, children, said grandfather. Put on your shoes. Were already late. I don’t want to miss the bus.
Ans: Hurry up, lets go, children," said grandfather. Put on your shoes. Were already late. I dont want to miss the bus.

Exercise 4:

Put in punctuation marks, including capitalization and write the following passage in your notebooks.
one day rashid said to his friends you know what i read in the newspaper that yellow house near our school is haunted
ghosts said sajjad i dont believe in ghosts
sara however said i believe in ghosts and im sure that all of you believe in ghosts really if you dont believe in them i challenge you to spend the night in that house
what you must be joking said javed
no im said serious prove it to me that you dont believe in ghosts by staying there tonight or else ill tell everyone thet youre cowards
all right said rashid ill do it wholl come with me i can depend on you asad cant i will you come javed can i rely on you coming with me
ghufran tahir asad and javed all agreed to go they decided to meet at eight o clock javed said ive got to complete my homework before i go please wait for me im late i dont want to go alone
surprise surprise said Rashid when they met outside the house at 8 o clock look whos here
theres no one else here said javed what do you mean
i mean shahid didnt you just see him go in
i didnt see anyone tahir ghufran javed and asad replied together
do you think we should go in said javed


Ans:
One day Rashid said to his friends , ”You know what I read in the newspaper, that yellow house near our school is haunted.”
“Ghosts!” said Sajjad ,”I don’t believe in ghosts.
Sara however, said , ”I believe in ghosts and I’m sure that all of you believe in ghosts.  Really, .if you don’t believe in them, I challenge you to spend the night in that house.”
“What! you must be joking,’’ said Javed.
“No, I’m serious,” said Sara. “ Prove it to me that you don’t believe in ghosts by staying there tonight or else I’ll tell everyone that you’re cowards.”
“All right,  said Rashid. “I ’ll do it. Who’ll come with me. I can depend on you Asad, can’t I? Will you come Javed? Can I rely on you, coming with me?”
Ghufran, Tahir, Asad and Javed,   all agreed to go. They decided to meet at eight o‘clock.
Javed
said, ” I’ve got to complete my homework before I go. Please wait for me, I’m late. I don’t want to go alone.”
“Surprise! surprise”! said Rashid, when they met outside the house at 8 o’clock. ”Look, who’s here?”
“There’s no one else here,”  said Javed. ”What do you mean?” “I mean, Shahid didn’ t you just see him go in?”
“I didn’ t see anyone,” Tahir, Ghufran , Javed and Asad replied together.
“Do you think we should go in?” said Javed.

PREFIXES AND SUFFIXES

ROOT WORD PREFIX SUFFIX
 The most basic part of a word. It is placed before the root word. Adding it to the beginning of a word changes it into another word and meaning. It is placed after the root word. Adding it to the ending of a word changes it into another word and meaning.

Exercise 5:

Work in pairs and form words given in the table by adding common prefixes and suffixes, respectively. Example have been done in both the tables.
Add prefixes (dis,im, un, pre, mis, ab, non,in,ir, mis,il)
Word Prefix+word
PayPrepay
OrderDisorder
ObeyDisobey
FormalInformal
UseMisuse
HonestDishonest
CertainUncertain
NormalAbnormal
LogicalIllogical
RegularIrregular
PoliteImpolite
UnderstandMisunderstand
SuccessfulUnsuccessful
ConsciousUnconscious
PossibleImpossible
UsualUnusual
SelfishUnselfish
literateIlliterate
MortalImmortal
EasyUneasy
LegalIllegal
appearDisappear
PleasantUnpleasant
bearableUnbearable
fortunatelyUnfortunately
relevantIrrelevant
OfficialUnofficial
SenseNonsense
AgreeDisagree
HappyUnhappy

Add suffix (ish, al,ful,en,ness,ment,able,hood,ive,ion)
Note: In most words ending in 'e' the ending 'e' is dropped before adding the suffix, as shown in the word 'survive' in the table below:
Word Word+suffix Word Word+suffix
ChildChildish/
childhood
StrengthStrengthen
PowerPowerfulResponseresponsive
PollutePollutionExciteExcitement
SuggestSuggestionAgreeAgreement/
agreeable
MotherMotherhoodRelate
Relation/
relatable
HelpHelpfulKindKindness
AccidentAccidentalSurviveSurvival
AchieveAchievementShameShameful
EnjoyEnjoyment/
enjoyable
ComfortComfortable
AttractAttractionSadSadness/
Sadden
ReflectReflectionEmployEmployment
SaltSaltishRejectRejection
ProductProductionInformInformation
EquipEquipmentImproveImprovement
AmuseAmusementCheerCheerful

Exercise 6:

Add prefixes or suffixes to the words given in brackets and fill in the blanks. Write the complete sentences in your note book:
1. My father was feeling uneasy due to severe pain. (easy)
2. His seat on the train was very comfortable.(comfort)
3. Mr. Moeen is very irregular and is often absent from his office. (regular)
4. His childish behaviour bothered everyone. (child)
5. There is a lot of pollution in our country. (pollute)
6. We must show kindness to every one, especially the old and the weak. (Kind)
7. All survived in the horrible accident, but unfortunately the driver was killed. (fortunate)
8. Reflection of the sunlight in the mirror disturbed me when I was driving. (reflect)
9. Rejection from the national hockey team was unbearable for me. (reject, bearable)
10. The information given by the team member was informal. (inform, formal)

Exercise 7:

Work in pairs and add prefix and suffix to the same root word. Then write a sentence using each word. The first one has been done as an example.
S.NO. Form Words Sentences
1. Root wordPay The business man promised to pay all the debt.
Or
 The receive their pay on the last day of a month.
 Prefix+rootPre pay I have bought a prepaid sim for my mobile phone
 Suffix+rootpay ment He has cleared all the payments before leaving the office.
2. Root wordHappy He wants to live a happy life.
 Prefix+rootUn happy Saima is always unhappy with her circumstances.
 Suffix+rootHappi ness All the money of the world cannot buy happiness.
3. Root wordAgree I agree to his plan of picnic.
 Prefix+rootDis agree The government officials disagree to his suggestions.
 Suffix+rootAgree ment The government has reached an agreement with the members of civil society over the electricity problem.
4. Root wordOrder We should obey the orders of our teachers
 Prefix+rootRe order He re ordered the books for his friends.
 Suffix+rootdis order The whole room was in disorder.
5. Root wordUse We should use all the available resources to complete our project.
 Prefix+rootRe use The plastic bottles should be re used to avoid pollution.
 Suffix+rootuse less All his efforts to find his lost book were useless.
6. Root wordRespect We should respect our elders.
 Prefix+rootDis respect We should not disrespect anyone.
 Suffix+rootRespect able Mr Ahmed is a very respectable man.
7. Root wordComfort I take care of my Parents comfort always.
 Prefix+rootdis comfort Steve had some discomfort, but no real pain.
 Suffix+rootComfort able That chair is very comfortable, we should buy it.


Source: Special Thanks To Sir Syed Arif Ali


1 comment: