Saturday 20 March 2021

English Grammar - Use of since and for

Use of since and for:

Since and for are two words that are used for similar, but not exactly the same, purposes.
Since:
  • It gives the starting point of actions, events or states, continuing until the present.
  • It refers to when things began.
  • It can only be used with the perfect tenses.

Since + a point in time (in the past) until now.
  • I've been waiting since 7 o'clock. 
  • I have known him since January.
  • I have been here since 5 o'clock and I am getting tired.
  • It has been three years since the last earthquake.

For:
  • We use For when we measure the duration
  • When we say how long something lasts.
  • We can use all verb tenses with For.

For + a period of time.
  • I have known her for a long time.
  • I lived here for ten years and then moved to another place.
  • They are exercising for three hours today.

For vs. Since
Knowing when to use FOR and when to use SINCE is important.

 FOR is used to mention a specific period (or duration) of time SINCE is used to mention the starting point of a period of time (continues to now)
 I have been a doctor for fifteen years. (duration = 15 years) I have been a doctor since 1992. (starting point = 1992)



No comments:

Post a Comment