Thursday 6 October 2022

Unit-1 - Contributions Of Notable Leaders - Reading Comprehension - The Wise Caliph - Chapter With Urdu Translation

Go To Index
Unit-1 - The Wise Caliph
Chapter With Urdu Translation

The Wise Caliph
English For Class X (2022 and Onward

Caliph Haroon-ur-Rashid was very popular with his people. He was very concerned about their problems and their welfare. At the night, he would disguise himself as a common man and go through the streets of Baghdad. He would mingle with the common people in order to gain first-hand knowledge of their difficulties and problems. He was also known and respected for his justice and wisdom.

Translation In Urdu
عقلمند خلیفہ

خلیفہ ہارون الرشید اپنی قوم میں بہت مقبول تھے۔ وہ ان کے مسائل اور ان کی فلاح و بہبود کے لۓ بہت فکرمند رہتے تھے۔  رات کے وقت، وہ ایک عام آدمی کا بھیس بدل کر بغداد کی گلیوں میں نکل جاتے۔  وہ عام لوگوں میں گھل مل جاتے تاکہ ان کی مشکلات اور مسائل سے براہ راست آگاہ ہو سکے۔ وہ اپنے عدل و انصاف اور دانشمندی کی وجہ سے بھی جانے جاتے اور ان کا احترام کیا جاتا تھا۔

One day, when he was holding court, Qazi brought two men before him. One of them was well-dressed and appeared to be a well-to-do, respectable citizen, while the other was in rags and seemed to be a beggar. Along with these two men, a beautiful white horse was also brought in. The Qazi approached the Caliph and said, "O Leader of the Faithfuls, I have brought before you a dispute which I have not been able to settle. It is a difficult case, but I am certain that with your knowledge and wisdom, you will be able to resolve it in a just and fair manner."

Translation In Urdu

۔ایک دن جب ان کی عدالت لگی  تھی تو قاضی نے دو آدمیوں کو انکے سامنے پیش کیا۔ ان میں سے ایک نے اچھا لباس پہنا ہوا تھا اور ایک خوشحال، معزز شہری دکھائی دیتا تھا، جبکہ دوسرا پھٹے پرانے کپڑوں میں تھا اور بھکاری معلوم ہوتا تھا۔ ان دو آدمیوں کے ساتھ ایک خوبصورت سفید گھوڑا بھی لایا گیا، قاضی نے خلیفہ کے پاس جا کر کہا کہ " امیر المومنین، میں آپ کے سامنے ایک تنازعہ لایا ہوں جس کا فیصلہ میں نہیں کر سکا، یہ ایک مشکل مقدمہ ہے۔ لیکن مجھے یقین ہے کہ آپ اپنے علم اور حکمت سے اسے منصفانہ اور عادلانہ طریقے سے حل کر سکیں گے۔"

"What is the dispute?" asked the Caliph.
"These two men here are fighting over this horse. Each one of them claims and swears that this horse is his." "Step forward," the Caliph ordered the well-dressed man, "and let's hear What you have got to say."
The man said to the Caliph: "O Leader of the Faithfuls, I beg you to believe me that whatever I say in your presence shall be the truth. This morning, when I was riding to the city, I saw this beggar limping along ahead of me. On hearing the sound of my horses hoofs, he turned round and motioned to me to stop. I pulled the reins of my horse. He begged me to give him a ride up to the city gate. He was lame. I felt sorry for him. So, I pulled him up behind me on the horse. When we reached the city gate, I stopped and turned round to help him get down. He refused to dismount. I was puzzled, and gently told him to get down because we had reached the city gate. He not only refused to get down but, instead, he claimed that the horse belonged to him. He said that he had given me a ride and instead of being grateful, I was robbing him of his horse."

Translation In Urdu

"جھگڑا کیا ہے؟"۔  خلیفہ نے پوچھا، 
" یہ دو آدمی اس گھوڑے پر جھگڑا کرہے ہیں۔ ان میں سے ہر ایک دعویٰ کرتا ہے اور قسم کھاتا ہے کہ یہ گھوڑا اس کا ہے۔" "آگے آؤ،" خلیفہ نے اچھے لباس والے آدمی کو حکم دیا، "اور ہمیں بتاؤ کہ تم کیا کہنا چاہتے ہو۔
" اس شخص نے خلیفہ سے کہا:  امیر المومنین! میں آپ سے التجا کرتا ہوں کہ آپ مجھ پر یقین کیجیۓ کہ جو کچھ میں آپ کی موجودگی میں کہوں گا وہ سچ ہوگا۔ آج صبح جب میں سوار ہو کر شہر کی طرف آ رہا تھا تو میں نے اس بھکاری کو اپنے آگے لنگڑا کے چلتے ہوۓ دیکھا۔ میرے گھوڑوں کے کھروں کی آواز سن کر وہ موڑا اور مجھے رکنے کا اشارہ کیا، میں نے اپنے گھوڑے کی لگام کھینچ لی، اس نے مجھ سے التجا کی کہ اسے شہر کے دروازے تک سواری میں بٹھایا جاۓ۔  وہ لنگڑا تھا، مجھے اس پر ترس آگیا، چنانچہ میں نے اسے گھوڑے پر اپنے پیچھے کھینچ کر بیٹھا لیا، جب ہم شہر کے دروازے پر پہنچے تو میں رک گیا اور اسے نیچے اترنے میں مدد کرنے کے لیے پیچھے مڑا، اس نے اترنے سے انکار کر دیا، میں حیران رہ گیا، اور میں نے نرمی سے اسے نیچے اترنے کو کہا۔ کیونکہ ہم شہر کے دروازے پر پہنچ چکے تھے اس نے نہ صرف نیچے اترنے سے انکار کر دیا بلکہ اس کے بجاۓ اس نے دعویٰ کیا کہ یہ گھوڑا اس کا ہے، اس نے کہا کہ اس نے مجھے گھوڑے پر سواری دی تھی اور احسان مند ہونے کے بجاۓ میں اس کا گھوڑا چھینا چاہتا ہوں۔ "

The Caliph then turned to the man in rags and said, "What do you have to say?"
The beggar limped forward and said, "O leader of the faithfuls, you are the helper and guardian of the poor. You are a wise and just caliph. Have pity on me and save me from the cruelty and injustice of this rich man. I swear that this horse belongs to me. You must be thinking, like everybody else in this court, how a beggar like me can afford to buy and keep such a fine horse. Let me tell you that it is because of this horse that I am in rags. Whatever money I had, I spent on this horse. This morning, as I was coming to the city on my horse, I noticed this man walking along the road. When I came close to him, he stopped me and requested me to lend him my horse, for he was in a great hurry to reach the city. Of course, I could not lend my horse to a complete stranger, could I? However, I decided to help him and let him ride my horse, while I sat behind him. As we reached the city gate, he asked me to get down and give the horse to him. He said that such a fine horse should not belong to a beggar. He ordered me to get off the horse or else he would me to get off. He further said that even if I shouted for help, no one would believe that such a fine horse could belong to someone like me; they would only make fun of me. Now, mighty and honourable Caliph, I beg you to save me from this robber and give me back my horse."

Translation In Urdu

خلیفہ پھٹے پرانے کپڑوں میں ملبوس شخص کی طرف متوجہ ہوا اور کہا، "تمہیں کیا کہنا ہے؟
تب بھکاری لنگڑاتے ہوۓ آگے بڑھا اور کہا، "امیرالمومنین! آپ غریبوں کے مددگار اور سرپرست ہیں، آپ ایک دانشمند اور عادل خلیفہ ہیں، مجھ پر ترس کھایۓ اور مجھے اس امیر آدمی کے ظلم و ناانصافی سے بچایۓ۔ میں قسم کھا سکتا ہوں کہ یہ گھوڑا میرا ہے، آپ بھی اس دربار میں موجود ہر شخص کی طرح سوچ رہے ہوں گے کہ مجھ جیسا بھکاری اتنا عمدہ گھوڑا کیسے خرید اور پال سکتا ہے۔  میں آپ کو بتاتا چلوں کہ میں اس گھوڑے کی وجہ سے چیتھڑوں میں ہوں۔ میرے پاس جو رقم تھی وہ میں نے اس گھوڑے پر خرچ کر دیۓ، آج صبح جب میں اپنے گھوڑے پر شہر آ رہا تھا تو میں نے اس شخص کو سڑک پر چلتے ہوئے دیکھا، جب میں اس کے قریب پہنچا تو اس نے مجھے روکا اور مجھ سے درخواست کی کہ میں اسے اپنا گھوڑا ادھار دے دوں، کیونکہ اسے شہر پہنچنے کی بہت جلدی تھی۔ یقیناً میں اپنا گھوڑا کسی اجنبی کو نہیں دے سکتا تھا،کیا میں ایسا کر سکتا تھا؟ لہذا میں نے اس کی مدد کرنے کا فیصلہ کیا اور اجازت دی کہ وہ میرے گھوڑے پر سوار ہوجاۓ جبکہ میں اس کے پیچھے بیٹھ گیا، جب ہم شہر کے دروازے پر پہنچے تو اس نے مجھے نیچے اتر کر گھوڑا اس کے جوالے کرنے کو کہا، اس نے کہا کہ "اتنا عمدہ گھوڑا ایک بھکاری کے پاس نہیں ہونا چاہیے۔ اس نے مجھے گھوڑے سے اترنے کا حکم دیا ورنہ میں وہ خود مجھ کو اتار دے گا۔ اس نے مزید کہا کہ اگر میں مدد کے لیے آواز بھی دوں تو کوئی نہیں مانے گا کہ اتنا عمدہ گھوڑا مجھ جیسے کسی کا ہو سکتا ہے۔ وہ صرف میرا مذاق اڑائیں گے۔ اب، اے عظیم اور معزز خلیفہ، میں آپ سے التجا کرتا ہوں کہ مجھے اس ڈاکو سے بچائیں اور میرا گھوڑا واپس کر دیں۔"

"I think this case is not very difficult to solve," said the Caliph to the Qazi. "It can be decided in a minute. Tell these men to place their hands on the horse, one by one. Let the beggar do it first."
When the beggar touched the horse, it winced as if it did not like the touch of his hand. Next, the rich man was asked to touch the horse. At the touch of the rich man's hand, the horse snorted and neighed with pleasure.
"This horse belongs to him," pronounced the Caliph. "Give the horse to its master."
Then the Caliph turned to the beggar and said, "You are a liar and a wicked man. You tried to rob an honest and respectable citizen. You deserve severe punishment, but I shall be merciful and forgive you this time, if you beg forgiveness from this gentlemen here."
The beggar, realizing that he had been caught red-handed, immediately turned to the rich man and said, "Please forgive me. I have been ungrateful. Instead of thanking you for taking pity on me and giving me a lift, I lied and claimed that the horse belonged to me. The rich man, being a kind-hearted and generous person, readily forgave the beggar. Not only that, he took out his purse and gave him a handful of gold coins. Everyone present was highly impressed by this noble action of the rich man.

Translation In Urdu

’’میرے خیال ہے کہ اس مقدمہ کا فیصلہ کرنا زیادہ مشکل نہیں ہے۔" خلیفہ نے قاضی سے کہا،. اس کا فیصلہ ایک لمحے میں کیا جا سکتا ہے۔ ان آدمیوں سے کہو کہ وہ ایک ایک کر کے گھوڑے پر اپنے ہاتھ رکھیں۔ بھکاری کو پہلے رکھنے دیں۔"
جب فقیر نے گھوڑے کو چھوا تو اس نے جھر جھری لی گویا اس کو اس کے ہاتھ کا لمس پسند نہیں آیا۔ پھر امیر آدمی کو گھوڑے کو چھونے کو کہا گیا۔ امیر کے ہاتھ کے چھونے پر، گھوڑے نے نتنھے پھیلاۓ اور خوشی سے ہنہنایا۔
"یہ گھوڑا اسی کا ہے،" خلیفہ نے اعلان کیا۔ "گھوڑا اس کے آقا کو دے دو۔"
پھر خلیفہ بھکاری کی طرف متوجہ ہوا اور کہا کہ "تم جھوٹے اور بدکار آدمی ہو، تم نے ایک ایماندار اور معزز شہری کو لوٹنے کی کوشش کی ہے، تم سخت سزا کے مستحق ہو، لیکن میں اس بار رحم کر کے تمہیں معاف کروں گا، اگر تم یہاں موجود  اس شریف آدمی سے معافی مانگو گے"
بھکاری یہ محسوس کرتے ہوۓ کہ وہ رنگے ہاتھوں پکڑا گیا ہے، فوراً امیر شخص کی طرف مڑا اور کہا، "مہربانی کر کے مجھے معاف کر دو، بجائے اس کے کہ میں آپ کا شکریہ ادا کرتا کہ آپ نے مجھ پر رحم کیا اور مجھے سواری دی، میں نے جھوٹ بولا۔ دعویٰ کیا کہ گھوڑا میرا ہے۔ امیر آدمی نے، ایک مہربان اور فیاض شخص ہونے کے ناطے، اس بھکاری کو آسانی سے معاف کر دیا۔ یہی نہیں اس نے اپنا بٹوہ نکالا اور اسے مٹھی بھرکے سونے کے سکے دیۓ۔۔ امیر آدمی کے اس شاندار عمل سے دربار میں موجود ہر شخص بہت متاثر ہوا۔


No comments:

Post a Comment