Wednesday 21 December 2022

Unit-6 - Character Building - Unit 6.3: Language Practice - Text Book Exercise 1 -8

Go To Index
Unit-6 - Character Building
Language Practice

By Mrs. Ayesha Arif
(Jauhar Progressive School)

Transitional Devices Showing Order And Reason

Transitional devices showing order and reason
Transitional devices are words or phrases that help carry a thought from one sentence to another, from one idea to another, or from one paragraph to another. They link sentences and paragraphs together so that there are no abrupt jumps or breaks. There are several kinds of transitional devices. Here we will discuss two categories.

 Showing Order first, second (etc.), finally, next, then, after, before, as soon as, in the end, after that, meanwhile, later on, etc.
 Showing Reason because, as, for, since, due to, owing to, etc.

EXERCISE 1

Work individually and underline the words showing order in passage 1 and connectors of reason in passage 2 given below. Discuss your answers with your partner.
Saturday was a great day! First, I met my friends at the sports centre. Then, we had lunch at Chez Café. Next, we went to a museum and saw some amazing dinosaurs. After that we went to see a fantastic science fiction film. As soon as the film ended, we all went home.

Bilal was an hour late because he had missed the train. I did not bother him as he was worried. I offered him lunch since it was lunch time, but he refused. Owing to staff shortage at the office, everyone was very busy due to which nobody was able to ensure that he had had his lunch.

Answer:
Saturday was a great day! First, I met my friends at the sports centre. Then, we had lunch at Chez Café. Next, we went to a museum and saw some amazing dinosaurs. After that we went to see a fantastic science fiction film. As soon as the film ended, we all went home.

Bilal was an hour late because he had missed the train. I did not bother him as he was worried. I offered him lunch since it was lunch time, but he refused. Owing to staff shortage at the office, everyone was very busy due to which nobody was able to ensure that he had had his lunch.

EXERCISE 2

Work individually and complete the passage with the words showing order. Discuss your answers with your partner.
Yesterday was my birthday, and it didn't start well. I went to the park to meet my friends, but they weren't there. So, I decided to look for them. First, I went to the shopping centre opposite the park, but they weren’t there. Then, I looked for them in the library, but they weren’t there. After that, I tried the sports centre and the restaurant near the park, but my friends weren't there. In the end I went home, and my friends were there, with a birthday cake, ice cream, music, and games. It was a surprise party for me! Finally I had a great birthday.

EXERCISE 3

Work individually and fill in the blanks with the most suitable words showing order from the brackets. An example has done. Discuss your answer with your partner.
1. My sister was in the dentist's office for ten minutes. ______ I sat in the waiting room with an old magazine in my hands.
(First, Meanwhile, Later)

2. An hour passed, but there was no sign of Mujahid. ____ we decided to go home.
(Until, Before, Finally)

3. We bumped into Salim during our trip to Keenjhar Lake. A few weeks _____ we met him again.
(after, then, later)

4. She had finished her lunch _____ I had even started.
(later than, before, after)

5. They went to a nearby restaurant for breakfast, ____ they drove off towards the River Indus.
(after that, afterwards, meanwhile)

6. The football coach announced to play with Sindh ____ and ____ with Baluchistan.
(first - then, later - after, lastly - eventually)

7. As we are all hungry, we will go to the park ____ taking lunch.
(before, after, first)

EXERCISE 4

The following statements describe the process of frying an egg but the steps are all mixed up. Work with your partner and select the appropriate words for each blank to describe the process of frying an egg. After filling the blanks, write these steps in the correct order, in the form of a paragraph, in your notebooks.
Next, Step three, after that, first, Finally, Step two, then, step one
1. Then, cook for a while.
2. Step two, put some oil in it.
3. Step three, break the egg.
4. First, take a frying pan.
5. In the end, sprinkle salt and pepper over it.
6. Finally, eat it with bread.
7. Step one, put it on the stove.
8. After that, put the fried egg on the plate.
9. Next, put it in the heated oil.

Rearranged:
First, take a frying pan. Step one, put it on the stove. Step two, put some oil in it. Step three, break the egg. Next, put it in the heated oil. Then, cook for a while. After that, put the fried egg on the plate. In the end, sprinkle salt and pepper over it. Finally, eat it with bread.

Revision of Direct/ Indirect Questions

You have already learnt in earlier classes about the two types of questions: 'Yes/ No' questions and Wh-questions. When changing 'Yes/ No' type of questions from direct to indirect speech if or whether is added.
Example:
  • Direct: Rehana said "Can you fetch me some water?"
    Indirect: Rehana asked if I could fetch her some water.

  • Direct: Parvez said, "Are you from Australia?"
    Indirect: Parvez asked whether I was from Australia.

However, when changing the Wh-questions from direct to indirect speech, the Wh' word used in the direct speech is used in the indirect speech.
Moreover, the person who is being asked the question is either mentioned directly or there is an indirect reference.

Example:
  • Direct: Mother said, "How is the chickens?"
    Indirect: Mother asked me how the chicken was.

  • Direct: Haseeb said, "When will we go to the stadium, Tahir?"
    Indirect: Haseeb asked Tahir when they would go to the stadium.


EXERCISE 5

Work in pairs. orally discuss and change the following from direct to indirect speech. After discussing, write the correct responses in your notebook.

1. Ali's friend said, "Can you spare me your book for a week?"
Indirect: Ali’s friend asked if I could spare him my book for a week.

2. She said to him, "Do you sell seafood?"
Indirect: She asked him if he sold seafood.

3. Have you visited Mohatta palace in Karachi, Charles?" said Behram.
Indirect: Behram asked Charles if he had visited Mohatta palace in Karachi.
OR
Indirect: Behram wanten to know whether charles had visited Mohatta palace in Karachi.

4. Rehan said to his sister, "Was your friend's birthday on Friday or Saturday?"
Indirect: Rehan asked his sister if her friend’s birthday was on Friday or Saturday.

5. The doctor said to his patient, "Are you taking medicine regularly?"
Indirect: The doctor asked his patient if he was taking medicine regularly.

6. "Can we take photographs here?" the students asked the caretaker.
Indirect: The students asked the caretaker if they could take photographs there.

7. Ashok said, "Is there a petrol pump nearby, Sunil?"
Indirect: Ashok asked Sunil if there was a petrol pump nearby.

8. Mother said, "Do they know the date of our visit?"
Indirect: Mother asked if they knew the date or our visit.

EXERCISE 6

Work in pairs, orally discuss and change the following from direct to indirect speech. After discussing, write the correct responses in your notebook.
1. "When will your results be announced?" said Jason.
Indirect: Jason asked when my result would be announced.
OR
Indirect: Jason asked when our result would be announced.

2. "What time will the match start, Zaheer? said Zaman.
Indirect: Zaman asked Zaheer what time the match would start.

3. "The old woman asked, "Where is the nearest hospital?"
Indirect: The old woman enquired where the nearest hospital was.

4. The climber said, "How quickly can we climb this hill?”
Indirect: The climber asked how quickly they could climb that hill.

5. "What is the price of this article?” the customer asked the shopkeeper.
Indirect: The customer asked the shopkeeper what the price of that article was.

6. "Why are you angry with me, Zahida?" said Sabiha.
Indirect: Sabiha asked Zahida why she was angry with her.

7. The policeman said, "Whose car is this?"
Indirect: The policeman enquired whose car that was.

8. The old man said, "Children, who broke this windowpane?"
Indirect: The old man asked the children who had broken that windowpane.

EXERCISE 7

When Faiz returned from the interview, his friends wanted to know the details. He reported what the interviewer had asked him. Work individually and write what Faiz said to his friends:
(Note: In indirect speech you can use both 'She' or 'The interviewer' for speaker.)
1. "What is your name?"
Indirect: The interviewer asked me what my name was.

2. "What is your qualification?"
Indirect: She asked me what my qualification was.
OR
Indirect: She asked me my qualification.

3. "Do you know how to type?"
Indirect: She asked me whether I knew how to type.
OR
Indirect: She asked me if I knew how to type.

4. "Can you use the computer?"
Indirect: She /(The interviewer) asked me if I could use the computer.

5. "How good is your English?"
Indirect: She asked me how good my English was.
OR
Indirect: The interviewer wanted know how good my English was.

6. "Have you worked anywhere else before?"
Indirect: She asked me whether I had work anywhere else before.
OR
Indirect: She asked me if I had work anywhere else before.

7. "Why do you want to work in this factory?"
Indirect: She asked me why I wanted to work in that factory.

8. "Where do you live?"
Indirect: She asked me where I lived.
OR
Indirect: The interviewer asked where I lived.

9. "How far is this factory from your house?"
Indirect: She enquired how far that factory was from my house.
OR
Indirect: She enquired how far that factory was from my house.

10. "Is there any question that you want to ask?"
Indirect: She asked me if I wanted to ask any question.
OR
Indirect: She wanted to know me if I wanted to ask any question.

EXERCISE 8

Work individually and rewrite the passage in the form of reported speech.
Nadeem went to his boss and said, " Will I get a promotion this year?" His boss replied that he would. Nadeem said, "When will I get it?" His boss said that he would, but on one condition. "What is that?" said Nadeem. The boss replied, "Can you answer some questions?" Nadeem said, "If I answer correctly will I get the promotion?" The boss confirmed it and said, "Should I ask you three easy questions or one difficult question?"

"Can you give me some time to think?" said Nadeem. The boss gave him two minutes to decide. "Is the difficult question very difficult?" asked Nadeem. The boss replied that it would depend on what you think is difficult. Nadeem said, "What if I cannot answer?” Then he further asked, "Will I get another chance?" The boss replied in the negative.

Nadeem thought for a minute and agreed to be asked one difficult question. The boss said, " Are you sure?" Nadeem said, “Do I have a choice?" The boss said that he could try the three easy questions. Nadeem said that he would like to answer the difficult question. So, the boss said, " What came first, day or night?" Nadeem thought for a minute and replied that day came first. The boss said, "How do you know?" Nadeem said “Have I not answered one question as per our agreement?” The boss was pleased with his quick thinking and gave him immediate promotion.


ANSWER: 
Nadeem went to his boss and asked if he would get a promotion that year. His boss replied that he would. Nadeem asked when he would get it. His boss said that he would, but on one condition. Nadeem asked What that was. The boss enquired him if he could answer some questions. Nadeem asked if he answered correctly would he get the promotion. The boss confirmed it and enquired if he should ask him three easy questions or one difficult question.
Nadeem asked if he could give him some time to think. The boss gave him two minutes to decide. Nadeem asked if the difficult question was very difficult. The boss replied that it would depend on what he think was difficult. Nadeem asked what if he could not answer. Then he further asked if he would get another chance. The boss replied in the negative.

Nadeem thought for a minute and agreed to be asked one difficult question. The boss asked him if he was sure. Nadeem asked if he had a choice. The boss told that he could try three easy questions. Nadeem said that he would like to answer the difficult question. So, the boss asked what had come first, day or night. Nadeem thought for a minute and replied that day came first. The boss asked how he knew. Nadeem asked if he had not answered one question as per their agreement. The boss had been pleased with this quick thinking and had given him immediate promotion.

No comments:

Post a Comment