Saturday 26 August 2023

General Discussion - Conversation based on phrases and idioms

Dialogues based on phrases and idioms

Conversation between Mike and Jane (A general discussion).


"They went on strike last week." Mike said.
Jane replied, "What on earth for?"
[What on earth for: Why (showing surprise)]

I haven't stopped working for eight hours today." Mike said.
Jane replied, "My heart bleeds for you."
(My heart bleeds for you: To express sympathy)

She always goes to work on a bike." Mike said.
Jane replid, "She must be very healthy."

Mike: "He offered me a 50% discount . What should I do?"
Jane: "Bite his hand off."
(Bite his hand off: accept the offer very quickly, don't hesitate)

Mike: "I need some support, right now."
Jane: "Well, you can count on me."
(Count on: rely on to support or help on someone)

Mike: "Can you explain me why she did that?"
Jane: "Heavenly only knows."
(Heavenly only knows: No one knows)

Mike: "I could try another source if you like."
Jane: "There's no point."
(There's no point: It's not a good idea)

Mike: "I wonder what she 'll get up to next."
Jane: There's no knowing."

Mike: "You just can't believe what they'll think up next, can you?
Jane: "There is no saying."

Mike: "It's amazing when you learn what technology can do, isn't it?"
Jane: "Its mind boggles."
(Mind boggles: Difficult to imagine or understand, Thinking about it is quite terrifying)

Mike: "Do you know what I did last night?"
Jane: "I shrink to think."
(Shrink to think: In semi humorous/ sarcastic sense remarks that hesitate to think on that)

Mike: "Do you know how much the bill has come to?
Jane: "No, it's way above my head."
(Way above my head: difficult, complicated)

Mike: "I asume you 're following the argument, aren't you.
Jane: "No, it's all Greek to me."
(All Greek to me: can't comprehend what is being written or said)


No comments:

Post a Comment