Saturday 6 February 2021

English (Compulsory) For Class IX - Unit 4.4 - A Child's Invocation (Poem) - Word / Meanings, Paraphrasing a Poem And Summary

GO TO INDEX

A Child's Invocation (Poem) 

Unit 4.4

UNIT 4.4 WRITING
Paraphrasing a Poem
Paraphrasing can help to understand poetry well. The Four R's of Paraphrasing can be very useful while paraphrasing a poem.
  • Reword - Replace words and phrases with synonyms wherever you can.
  • Rearrange - Rearrange words within stanzas/ couplets to make proper sentences. You can even rearrange the ideas presented within stanzas/ couplets.
  • Realize - Realize that some words and phrases (e.g. names, dates, titles, etc.) cannot be changed, but you can present them differently in your paraphrase.
  • Recheck - Check to see that the paraphrase conveys the same meaning as the poem.

Exercise 1:
Underline the following words in the poem:
longing supplication sparkling attain elegance moth supportive suffering
Look up these words in the glossary at the end of the book to its meaning.

S.NO. WordsMeanings
1.AttainSucceed in getting.
2.EleganceAttractiveness
3.Longing Deep felt wish/ desire.
4.MothA flying insect that is attracted to light.
5.SparklingShining
6.SufferingPeople having physical or mental pain.
7.SupplicationHumble request/prayer.
8.SupportiveGiving help and sympathy.

A Child's Invocation
Exercise 2:
Next, paraphrase each couplet (two lines in a poem) of the following famous poem of Allama lqbal. The first couplet has been paraphrased for you.
Paraphrasing of Couplets
1. Oh Allah! I pray that my life should be like a candle.
2. Through my light should the world's darkness vanish and every place sparkle with my light.
3. Through me, my motherland should achieve grace and dignity just like a flower gives grace to a garden.
4. I pray that just like a moth I have a love for the lamp of a knowledge.
5. I pray that I become benevolent to the poor and the suffering.
6. 0 God! Save me from wrong ways and show me the straight and right path.

A Child's Invocation (Poem)
My longing comes to my lips as supplication of mine
0 God! May like the candle be the life of mine!

May the world's darkness disappear through the life of mine!
May every place light up with the sparkling light of mine!

May my homeland through me attain elegance
As the garden through flowers attains elegance

May my life like that moth be, 0 Lord!
May I love the lamp of knowledge, 0 Lord!

May supportive of the poor my life's way be
May loving the old, the suffering my way be

0 God! Protect me from the evil ways
Show me the path leading to the good ways

Translation of Allama lqbals Poem "Lab pay ati hai dua".

Translation Of Poem In Urdu
بچے کی دعا
لب پہ آتی ہی دعا بن کے تمنا میری
زندگی شمع کی صورت ہو خدایا میری
دور دنیا کا میرے دم سے اندھیرا ہو جائے!
ہر جگہ میرے چمکنے سے اجالا ہوجائے
ہو مارے دم سے یونہی میرے وطن کی زینت
جس طرح پھول سے ہوتی ہے چمن کی زینت
زندگی ہو میرے پروانے کی صورت یارب!
علم کی شمع سے ہو مجھکو محبت یارب
ہو میرا کام غریبوں کی حمایت کرنا
دردمندوں سے ضعیفوں سے محبّت کرنا
میرے الله! برائی سے بچانا مجھکو
نیک جو راہ ہو اس راہ پہ چلانا مجھ کو

Exercise 3:
Write the paraphrased poem in the form of a paragraph in your notebook.

Paraphrased Poem in the form of Paragraph
Oh Allah! I pray that my life should be like a candle. Through my light should the world's darkness vanish and every place sparkles with my light. Through me, my motherland should achieve grace and dignity just like a flower gives grace to a garden. I pray that just like a moth I have a love for the lamp of knowledge and I become benevolent to the poor and the suffering. 0 God! Save me from wrong ways and show me the straight and right path.

Summary Of The Poem
Poet Reference:
The Poem " A Child's Invocation" is written by the poet of the east SIR MUHAMMAD ALLAMA IQBAL, and it is translated in English by professor G.R. Malik

SUMMARY
In this poem, a child is praying that his life will be like a candle, and he will be able to remove the darkness of the world. Because of him, his homeland will get the honour and good name. He prays that Allah may give him the love of knowledge so that he will become the support to the poor, weak and miserable people. He also prays to protect him from evil ways and give him the strength to follow the path of righteousness.

Central Idea Of The Poem
This poem is about the pious and virtual wishes of the child. In the poem, the child prayers to Almighty for fulfill his wishes, so that he could serve the nation and helped the needy.
OR
The poem is about the pious and virtual wishes of the child. He wants to serve the nation and help the needy. The poem is all about the wishes and prayer of the child.
OR
The poem's central idea is the prayer that a child makes for protection against evils and to make him a pious and virtuous individual.


7 comments:

  1. Where is the central idea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Education is the key to success7 December 2022 at 04:57

      Uploaded, JAZAKALLAH

      Delete
  2. Very helpful central idea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very helpful
    Thank's

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please upload the main theme of this poem please it is very helpful to me 🙏

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Education is the key o success12 October 2023 at 18:59

      central idea is same as main theme, which is already written in above post
      JAZAKALLAH

      Delete